Holy Innocents was built in 1884 and designed by William Butterfield, a well-known architect who also designed All Saints' Margaret Street. Our church by contrast is designed as a country church, for at that time it was in a rural area, and so it is more intimate than many other Anglican churches of its time, although also reflecting the gothic revival. It retains features reflecting 'Arts and Crafts' interests, such as a round bell tower with wooden shingles.
This is only one of 13 Anglican churches in the country dedicated to the Holy Innocents, possibly reflecting increasing public concern at the time about the welfare of children.
In 1957 the narthex, baptistry, north aisle and choir vestry were added. After half a century these facilities have served us well, but are in need of renewal and updating. We are working on improving our facilities in a major refurbishment project, not only for our use but we hope also, where appropriate, for community use. See our home page for more info and about how to donate.